Thursday, March 31, 2011

Healed Up!

Well, Curt and Trista are past the 2 week period after having their tonsils out...we are all relieved! They are feeling much better. They still have the scabs in the back of their throats and report that feels "funny" but they are eating and drinking normally. It was rough for about a week! Trista decided she wouldn't open her mouth and got pretty dehydrated. She wouldn't take pain medication or fluids! Needless to say, she wasn't a happy person and she was challenging! Even after an ER visit, she refused for 2 solid days! The Friday after her surgery I went in to work. I had my mother-in-law come down to keep an eye on Curt and Trista. I had no idea how big of a challenge I was leaving her with (well, I sorta did, I had dealt with the same stuff the day before but I was really hoping that my 2 patients would behave). Trista still refused to open her mouth, so Mary would wrap herself around Trista while Curt forced the syringe into her mouth, and Trista would spit the medicine back at them! What fun that sounded like! Then, Curt went against wife and mother's advice to fight a brush fire for 6 hours, 2 days post-op. We were pretty worried, knowing that smoke and high winds are probably the worst thing for a healing throat. He was pretty tired from that day but he continued to heal well. I already knew that Mary was an awesome mother-in-law but she gained true warrior status that day for putting up with some MAJOR Stehwien Stubbornness! Trista has since started drinking and eating food. She took her time with food and has lost 8 pounds (11% of her body weight!) so she is pretty skinny right now. She has her appetite back and is making up for the lack of food! We are all glad those weeks are behind us and that we didn't wait any longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment